The holidays in Kansas City are full of opportunities to make magic-filled memories with your kids. Whether you’re looking for ways to fill your days during holiday break or family fun in the evenings closer to Christmas, the following is our list of favorite fun, local activities.
Tour local Christmas light displays
All around town, families, neighborhoods, and businesses are showing off a dazzling display of lights! Make a fun evening out with your family by dressing everyone in their jammies, filling up a Thermos or two with hot cocoa, and setting out on a car tour of local lights. Here are some of our favorite spots to hit:
- Deanna Rose Farm – they’ll be closed, but you can park and tune your radio station to their channel and watch the lights dance to the music
- Candy Cane Lane, Prairie Village – the 7900 block of Outlook Lane
- Vince & Associates in Overland Park
- Ward Parkway – ooh and ahh over the houses on Ward Parkway as well as some of the side neighborhoods that string lights across their yards
- Sar Ko Park in Lenexa
- Steve Pearson’s Christmas Display in Merriam – 9900 Johnson Drive – a 3x Festival of Lights Contest Winner
- Mike Arnott’s Christmas Display in Shawnee – 12612 W. 70th Terr. – Accepts donations for Make a Wish
- Goddard Street Christmas Display in Overland Park – the 9300 block of Goddard St.
- Christmas in the Park at Longview Lake – open nightly through New Year’s Eve
- Liberty Light Show – a unique drive-through light display synchronized with live musicians runs Dec. 8, 9, and 10. An automated show will run through Dec. 24.
- Country Club Plaza – last but not least, we can’t forget the holiday tradition that made us famous
Visit a tree farm
Turn picking out your Christmas tree into an adventure, by visiting a local tree farm! Many offer hot chocolate, hayrides, photo opportunities, locally-made wreaths, crafts, and even cookies along with a variety of trees and help with tree tie-downs. Check out KC Sprout and Pick Your Own Christmas Tree for a list of farms.
A Charlie Brown Christmas at the Coterie
Take the kids to see the live action version of the animated Christmas classic, and then tour Crown Center for lunch, Santa, and ice skating. For older kids, A Christmas Carol at the Kansas City Repertory Theatre will start an insightful conversation about the meaning of the Christmas season.
Overland Park Arboretum Luminary Walk
In December, the trails at the Overland Park Arboretum are “transformed into a wonderland of candles and lights, music and holiday fun.” Take the family for an evening walk they won’t forget as they sip hot cider, visit with Santa, and enjoy horse-drawn wagon rides.
World’s of Fun Winterfest
New this year, World’s of Fun is hosting Winterfest from Nov. 24 – Dec. 30. Visit the park to take in one of the area’s largest light displays, 10 live shows, more than 16 holiday characters, and activities including ice skating, cookie decorating, and of course, the rides.
Holiday Swing at Union Station
Shop more than 100 handmade and vintage vendors at the 7th Annual Holiday Swing, hosted at Union Station on Sunday December 10 from 10am – 6pm. If you love Etsy, you’ll love the Swing – it’s one of Etsy’s “Etsy Made Local Markets.” Your kids will love shopping this as well, as there are special crafts for kids and also a booth featuring kid-made crafts for sale. While you’re there, visit Santa and Union Station’s annual model train display.